I had one lonely butternut squash sitting around and decided to put it to good use.
Butternut Squash With Green Peas
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
2 tablespoons butter
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 butternut squash, peeled, quartered, seeded, and thinly sliced
2 cups frozen peas, defrosted
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1. Toast cumin seeds in a hot pan.
2. Add butter and garlic and cook for a few minutes.
3. Add butternuts squash and saute until soft. (I had a lid on the pan most of the time and at one point added a bit of water to help the squash cook faster.)
4. Once the squash is almost cooked through, add peas, salt and pepper and heat through.
5. Serve garnished with red onion (and cilantro, if you have it on hand).
Confession: I originally intended the squash to keep its shape, but it completely turned into a mush. Maybe not the greatest presentation, but the taste was definitely good. You can do the same with sweet potatoes or even regular potatoes. Also, feel free to add fresh ginger to the "garlic" step if you have it on hand.