Foodbuzz was having a competition to win tickets to an amazing event in Chicago. You had to use at least one of the following ingredients: cashews, macadamia nuts, chocolate, dried cherries, cranberries, almonds, etc.
Seeing the list of possible ingredients, I decided that most people would make a dessert. I, on the other hand, decided to go with a savory dish in order to stand out and hopefully win!
Special thank you to Anna for logistic help. If I win, I'm definitely taking her as my +1.
What I decided to make was Stuffed Chicken with Cashews. And the stuffing? Dried cherries, red onion, thyme and brie.
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
3 sprigs of thyme
1/4 cup dried cherries
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
2 slices Brie cheese
salt & pepper
2 teaspoons mustard
1/4 cup cashews, chopped
1) Preheat the oven to 400
2) Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan, add onions and thyme, cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally
3) Add dried cherries and balsamic vinegar and cook for 2 minutes
4) Remove thyme sprigs and let the mixture cool
5) Make slits in each chicken breast
6) Stuff each chicken breast with a slice of brie and half of the cherry/onion mixture
7) Use toothpicks to close the openings in the chicken breasts
8) Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a stainless steel pan. Sear chicken breasts 3 minutes on each side seasoning with salt and pepper
9) Smear mustard on top of each chicken breast, top with cashews and put in the oven for 15 minutes
10) Once out of the oven, make sure the juices run clear
11) Let the chicken stand for 5 minutes, remove the toothpicks (I had to use my jewelry pliers!!) and slice diagonally
12) Make sure not to touch the handle of the hot pan with your fingers: it hurts! A lot!