Here's a recipe I came up with for Chicken and White Bean Chili to go with my Tri-Color Cornbread. Every time I make chili, I think of my friend Jenny because she's the one who first showed me how to make chili. This version, however, is quite different. Instead of using ground beef, I used cubed chicken breasts. Instead of kidney beans, I used Northern beans. I hope you like this version of chili.
2 teaspoons oil
2 chicken breasts, cubed
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 onion, diced
3 celery spears, peeled and diced
2 15.5 ounce cans of Northern beans, rinsed, drained
1 14.5 ounce can mild green chilies and diced tomatoes (or use any other type of canned tomatoes)
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add chicken and spices. Brown (no need to cook the chicken all the way through at this point).
2. Remove the chicken from the pan, add in the vegetables and saute till soft (you might need to add a bit of extra oil).
3. Add the chicken back into the pan. Add beans and tomatoes, mix and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through.
5. Serve with sour cream and cheese and scallions (not pictured).