I love beets. Beet salad, beet soup, but what about beet greens? Yes, you can (and should) use beet greens in your cooking.
Last week I roasted a few beets to make beet/garbanzo beans/boiled eggs and feta salad, and made the following dish from the beet greens.
The key to cooking with beet greens is to make sure you wash them really well because they tend to be full of sand and dirt: something you definitely not want in your dish.
Sauteed Beet Greens with Feta
3 garlic cloves, sliced
beet greens from 3 beets, washed, cut into 1 inch pieces
a few pinches red pepper flakes, more or less depending on your heat tolerance
salt & pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil. Add garlic slices and saute for a few minutes.
2. Add stalk parts of beet greens, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and saute for about 5 minutes.
3. Add leaves from the beet greens and saute till tender.
4. Serve hot with feta on top.
I really do hope you'll try cooking with beet greens! You can do so many things with them:
* add them to soups
* saute them with garlic, raisins and pine nuts
* add them to pasta dishes
* juice them!