When I received an email inviting me to an opening of a new Whole Foods store in Chevy Chase, MD, I was intrigued. I first must admit that I do 99.9% of my grocery shopping at Harris Teeter, which is just a few blocks away from my apartment.
Occasionally, however, when I can't find certain ingredients for my freelancing job for Robyn Webb, I make a trip to Whole Foods. Still, who can pass up an invitation to check out a brand new store and stroll the aisles with mere 20 people vs hundreds of people pushing their way with their carts, crying children and long lines at the registers?
This is going to be mostly a "look at the photos" post. But I'll tell you a few things that stood out for me during the tour of the new Whole Foods.
1) Immediately, I was greeted by the sea of orchids. Orchids are my favorite flowers in the world! In fact, my email address contains a word orchid! These were absolutely gorgeous, and on sale for $9.99! Alas, I wasn't able to purchase an orchid plant because the registers weren't open.
2) There were at least 3 varieties of tomatoes, most on sale as well. They were so pretty and neatly stacked.
3) Whole Foods bakes their own macarons! I tried a lemon and a chocolate one. Lemon flavor definitely was better.
4) The store has professional butchers: this is such a plus. At my grocery store, the guy at the butcher department did not know how many ounces there are in a pound (16!).
5) The seafood department can cut/skin/etc your fish any way you want. And on top of it, it provides you a free marinade.
6) If you are not a baker, check out the bakery department: gorgeous cupcakes, eclairs, cakes and all at very reasonable prices.
7) In the health & beauty department, you can buy bath salts by weight and cut your own soap.
8) At the end of the tour, we were treated to some finger foods and received a gift bag, which I absolutely loved. This was a really fun experience.
and now picture time! (I have no idea why the photos are not aligned: I try to fix the html code, but it did not help)
What is YOUR favorite grocery store and WHY?