February is almost over, so it means it's time for another Russian Recipes Revisited post. This time I decided to copy my twin sister Anna and make Russian Salted Cabbage with Carrots, Garlic & Apples. My parents have been salting/pickling cabbage for as long as I remember, but this was the first time I gave this technique a try.
Russian Salted Cabbage with Carrots, Garlic & Apples
Adapted from Snacking in the Kitchen by Anna Berman
2 medium sized cabbage heads, shredded
1/4 cup kosher salt
5 carrots, peeled & shredded
1 head of garlic, separated and peeled
2 Granny Smith apples, cored, sliced into 16 pieces each
Russian sunflower oil
chopped white onion
1. In a large pot combine cabbage with salt and massage the cabbage with your hands until it slightly softens and is reduced in size.
2. Add carrots, garlic and apples and combine.
3. Put a large plate on top of the vegetables and add a few heavy jars to top to weigh it down.
4. Let the vegetables (and apples) hang out in your kitchen non-refrigerated for 5 days.
5. After 5 days, transfer with salted cabbage with carrots, garlic and apples into containers and refrigerate.
6. Serve drizzled with good Russian sunflower oil and chopped white onion.
I used a variety of jars for storage!
Any ideas for what I should do next month for Russian Recipes Revisited?