Whether you want a delicious breakfast, an addition to your brunch menu or an afternoon snack, you are going to love these Mango & Sour Cherry Oatmeal Muffins.
Last week I received a box of mangoes courtesy of Mango.org, and after eating most of the mangoes as is, I saved three champagne mangoes to make muffins.
If you can't find champagne mangoes, use regular ones. If you don't have frozen or fresh sour cherries, use any other berry you like.
Mango & Sour Cherry Oatmeal Muffins
(Recipe adapted from Butler's Orchards)
Ingredients for 12 muffins
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups oatmeal, quick or regular
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
zest of one one orange
1 teaspoon vanilla (did you know you can make your own vanilla extract at home?)
2 champagne mangoes, peeled, chopped
1 cup frozen sour cherries
1/4 cup oatmeal
3 tablespoons sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line muffin tins with paper cups.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl mix together milk, egg, oil, orange zest and vanilla.
4. Incorporate wet ingredients into the dry ones, but be careful not to over mix.
5. Carefully blend in mangoes and sour cherries.
6. Divide the mixture amongst 12 muffin tins.
7. In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup oatmeal with 3 tablespoons of sugar and sprinkle on each muffin.
8. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
These are great: just sweet enough to satisfy your cravings, but filled with fruit and oatmeal to feel you good about eating them.
If you can't eat all of these muffins at once, they freeze amazingly well!
What do you like to add into your muffins?