I ♥ eggplant. I use it to make dips, marinated salads, casseroles and even bahn mi sandwiches. A few weeks ago I had a random eggplant sitting in my refrigerator and a craving for something spicy, saucy and grilled. That's how I ended up creating Asian Grilled Eggplant with Black Bean Paste & Ginger recipe.
Asian Grilled Eggplant with Black Bean Paste & Ginger
Serves about 4
1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/4"
for the sauce
3 tablespoons freshly microplane'd ginger
3 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
3 tablespoons black bean paste
3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
3 pinches red pepper flakes
3 teaspoons soy sauce
toasted sesame seeds
1. Heat your panini maker or your grill.
2. Brush eggplant slices with oil on both sides and cook in the panini maker for 2-3 minutes. If using a skillet, cook the eggplant 2-3 minutes on each side.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the sauce.
4. Remove the eggplant slices from the panini maker and brush with the sauce on both sides.
5. Cook the sauce'd eggplant slices in the panini maker for 2-3 more minutes.
6. Serve these Asian Grilled Eggplant with Black Bean Paste & Ginger disks topped with freshly chopped basil and sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.
This is a great dish to serve as an appetizer or a main course with rice and grilled chicken.
Have a great weekend!