Earlier this month my friend Cindy gave me a container of dates. After doing a bit of a search for an easy recipe I found David Lebovitz's Fruitcake Bars Recipe. The recipe seemed easy enough, and really the only change I made was the type of nuts I used. David called for walnuts, almonds, or pecans, but I used a combination of hazelnuts, almonds and pecans and added zest of an orange!
Date & Hazelnut Bars: My Take on David Lebovitz's Fruitcake Bars Recipe
1 cup hazelnuts
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup pecans
6 tablespoons flour
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups dates, pitted and quartered
1 cup dried apricots, halved
zest of 1 orange
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Toast hazelnuts, let them cool and remove as many of the shells as you can.
2. Toast the rest of the nuts and chop roughly.
3. Preheat the oven to 325F degrees and line an 8x8 baking pan with aluminum foil (use two pieces and make sure they slightly overlap the edges).
4. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the sugar, nuts, apricots and orange zest. Using your fingers, mix everything.
5. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix together.
6. Add the mixture to the lined baking pan and press into an even layer. bake for 35-40 minutes.
Once out of the oven, allow the baked mixture to cool and then cut into the bars (after removing from the baking pan, of course!!!)
These bars were awesome! I really liked the hazelnuts in them!!! These last in a tightly closed container for a few days or can be frozen.
And make sure to share these with your friends!
I'm still in Greece and am still having an awesome time!!! Happy Wednesday to everyone.