Because I grew up in Moscow, Russia, there are a zillion snacks and treats familiar to American kids that I've never had as a child. But don't you worry: once my family immigrated to the US when I was 13, I quickly caught up! Turns out, however, there was at least one snack/treat I've yet to try: Oreo Cookie Balls.
When I was contacted by Yummly representative to be a part of the Oreo Holiday Campaign by putting my spin on their Original Oreo Cookie Ball Recipe, I was up for the challenge. And you know what? This is one no bake cookie that actually tastes awesome. In fact, it kind of reminded me of a truffle.
Make these with your friends or kids and feel free to double or triple the recipe. And make sure to read till the end to see the original recipe that inspired me.
Triple Chocolate & Pretzel Oreo Cookie Balls: Perfect No Bake Dessert
9 chocolate Oreo cookies (the ones with chocolate filling)
2 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
1.5 ounces 75% chocolate, chopped
24 tiny twists, chopped in a food processor
1. In a food processor, pulse the Oreo cookies until they resemble the texture of sand.
2. Add the cream cheese and pulse to combine.
3. Transfer the mixture into a bowl and make 9 balls, rolling them in your hands.
4. Allow the balls to sit in the freezer for 5 minutes, then re-roll them to make them more round.
5. Freeze for 5 for minutes on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
6. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a double boiler.
7. Allow the chocolate to cool slightly and then roll the Oreo balls in it.
8. Roll the chocolate covered Oreo balls in chopped tiny twists (using a shallow plate for this helps).
9. Refrigerate the balls for at least an hour.
These were delicious! They also last for days in the refrigerator, that is unless you eat them right away.
I really liked the combination of chocolate Oreos and salty tiny twists.
And here's the original recipe:
Original OREO Cookie Ball Recipe
1 pkg. (8 oz.) brick cream cheese, softened
36 OREO Cookies, finely crushed (about 3 cups)
4 pkg. (4 oz. each) semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted
MIX cream cheese and cookie crumbs until blended.
SHAPE into 48 (1-inch) balls. Freeze 10 min. Dip balls in melted chocolate; place in single layer in
shallow waxed paper-lined pan.
CUSTOMIZE it with your own ingredient additions or decorative skills.
REFRIGERATE 1 hour or until firm.
Share and enjoy!
Have you ever made Oreo Cookie Balls? What spin do you put on the original recipe?
Disclosure: Yummly representative invited me to participate in the Oreo Holiday Campaign and reimbursed me for my time. All opinions are as always my own.