How is it going? Were you snowed in? Are you still snowed in? Here in DC we got only a little bit of snow, but the government closed on Tuesday, so I was a happy camper.
Today I want to share with you Cherry & Peach Oatmeal Muffins AND A Few Confessions. What do confessions have to do with these muffins? Well a few things.
1) A while back I threw away a metal muffin pan because I was too lazy to clean it. Not even kidding.
2) I bought a huge canister of oats with the best intentions of making oatmeal, but the oats container has been sitting in my cabinet for over a month...so I decided to use it to make muffins instead.
Oh, and I purchased a new muffin pan ;)
These Cherry & Peach Oatmeal Muffins are based on these Blueberry & Raspberry Oatmeal Muffins.
In this latest variation I used defrosted cherries and peaches and substituted vanilla extract for almond extract. I also used zest of an entire orange, but somehow the citrus flavor did not really come through.
Cherry & Peach Oatmeal Muffins
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups oatmeal, quick or regular
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
zest of one orange
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup frozen cherries, defrosted and chopped (don't use any of the juice)
1/2 frozen peaches, defrosted and chopped
1/4 cup oatmeal
2 tablespoons sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line muffin tins with paper cups.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl mix together milk, egg, oil, orange zest and almond extract.
4. Incorporate wet ingredients into the dry ones, but be careful not to over mix.
5. Carefully blend in cherries and peaches.
6. Divide the mixture amongst 12 muffin tins, filling them 2/3 of the way. These will not become the gigantic muffins you see in Costco or Starbucks, not that there is anything wrong with it. Just wanted to let you know!
7. In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup oatmeal with 2 tablespoons of sugar and sprinkle on each muffin.
8. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.