Broccoli salad. The inspiration for this quick dinner came from my aunt in Israel. Her version included blanched broccoli, vinegar/mayonnaise/honey dressing, cashews and dried cranberries. I opted for dried cherries, a bit of red onion and a dressing of mayonnaise and apple cider vinegar. Of course you can use any nut you like or even sunflower seeds! I used 3 broccoli crowns for one person and felt no guilt whatsoever.
Eggs!!! Seriously, eggs are one of my favorite ingredients for a quick dinner:
- egg salad with olives, herbs and tomatoes
- scrambled eggs mixed with cilantro and wrapped into a warm tortilla that has been slathered with hummus
- poached eggs with toast
Tuna. I love, love, love canned white solid tuna. I usually get mine in water, but I know many people who are fans of tuna packed in oil. Choose whichever one you like. Of course you can make a simple tuna/mayonnaise/celery salad, but that's not my cup of tea. Below are a few of my favorites:
- tuna, hardboiled egg, leftover cooked rice, mayonnaise, white or red onion, salt & pepper
- tuna, olives, tomatoes, herbs, mayonnaise
- tuna, avocado, olive oil, lemon juice
- don't forget a tuna melt!
Picnic Dinner. This is a great way to have some fun: cheese, salami, pickled vegetables, hummus, guacamole, salsa, roasted eggplant, olives, crackers, wine, dark chocolate, dried fruit, more wine...you get the idea.
See?!?! There is a world beyond cereal for dinner.
Please share your ideas for a quick dinner in the comments.