Friday night I decided to make Tortilla Espanola for breakfast on Saturday, but ended up not waking up till almost 11 am after a night of salsa dancing and going out for Mexican and Bloody Marys with my friend Sarah instead.
No worries: luckily there are two days in a weekend.
This dish is great for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. If you are making this for Meatless Monday tonight (you have plenty of time to get the ingredients if you don't have them on hand already), add a side salad and you'll be all set.
Tortilla Espanola For One: Prefect Meatless Monday Recipe
2 small Yukon gold potatoes, sliced thinly
1/4 small onion, chopped
splash of half & half
1. Cook potatoes until tender in salted water.
2. Meanwhile saute onions in olive oil seasoned with salt in a little skillet. I used my Lodge cast iron skillet.
3. Remove onions from the skillet. Add a bit extra olive oil if needed and layer drained potatoes (I made two layers).
4. Top potatoes with sauteed onions and a whisked mixture of eggs, half & half, and salt.
5. Cook Tortilla Espanola covered on low heat until most of the egg mixture has set.
6. Put the skillet under the broiler for about 5 minutes until the top is golden brown and the eggs are completely set.
How beautiful is this?
You can serve Tortilla Espanola as is out of the cast iron skillet or turn it upside down and serve it no the plate: