I know it may seem like I eat a lot of vegetarian meals, which is not really the case, but I do like vegetables and tend to prepare them in simple ways that have a wow factor at the same time.
Friday night before going salsa dancing I wanted to make a quick healthy dinner because I knew the weekend will include a few meals out with boozy beverages.
I had a random eggplant from my Washington's Green Grocer delivery and kale that have seen better days. I've been trying hard not to waste food, and decided to use the two ingredients as inspiration for the meal.
Meatless Monday: Vegan Eggplant, Red Onion & Crispy Kale Stacks
eggplant, sliced into 1/4" planks
salt and pepper
red onion, sliced into 1/4" disks
kale leaves, sliced into ribbons
1. Grill, broil or saute eggplant and onion (separately) brushed with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. I used a panini maker to grill my vegetables.
2. In a hot cast iron skillet heat a bit of olive oil and saute kale until crispy. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat marinara sauce.
4. Stack your ingredients: eggplant, red onion, marinara and crispy kale. Repeat.
How is this recipe versatile?
1) You can make individual stacks or lasagna.
2) Don't like eggplant? Use zucchini or red peppers.
3) For a non-vegan option, add cheese: feta, mozzarella or goat cheese!
4) Try rolling the eggplant with the other ingredients inside instead of stacking them.