Carrot Soup with Indian Flair
2 teaspoons neutral oil (vegetable/sunflower, etc)
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 inch ginger, peeled, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder
6 carrots, peeled, chopped
8 ounces vegetable stock
8 ounces water
salt & pepper to taste
2 tablespoons cream
optional: 3 tablespoons cream and cilantro for "cilantro cream"
2. Add carrots, mix with the rest of ingredients. Add vegetable broth and water, bring to a boil.
3. Lower the heat, cover the pan and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
4. Add the contents of the pan to a blender. Add two tablespoons of cream and blend together. Season with salt and pepper.
5. You could stop at step number 4 or in a separate blender puree additional cream with fresh cilantro to use as a topping for your soup ("cilantro cream").
A few notes
1) you can make this soup entirely using water
2) feel free to just garnish the soup with chopped cilantro and not "cilantro cream"
3) depending on how thin you want your soup to be, you might need to add more liquid
4) this soup is great as leftovers--in fact, I had it over brown rice the following day because it thickened up while sitting in the refrigerator
And just for Anna, this recipe makes about 3 cups of soup.