I don't know why it has never dawned on either one of us to use anything but apples in this recipe. [My friend Jenny, however, told me that she has made my mom's recipe using blueberries instead of apples in the past! Who knew?]
A few weeks ago when I was meeting Anna's friend Angela at Eastern Market, I was reading Southern Living magazine, which had a recipe for peach and blackberry cake: it looked gorgeous! Then, I saw beautiful peaches and blueberries at the market. Then, when I went grocery shopping, peaches and blueberries were on sale: everything was coming together and I decided to alter my mom's apple recipe to make Peach and Blueberry Cake instead.
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon yogurt
½ lemon, zested
2 peaches, cored, sliced
1 cup blueberries
2) In a large bowl beat 3 eggs.
3) Add 1 cup of sugar to the egg mixture and blend together.
4) Pour 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda into white vinegar - the two ingredients will react and bubble - add to the bowl with eggs and sugar and mix.
6) Add 1 tablespoon of yogurt and the zest of 1/2 lemon to the batter and mix.
7) Carefully incorporate peach slices and blueberries.
10) Let the cake cool, and flip on a serving plate (if baking in a bundt pan).
serve with some powdered sugar
I really liked how this cake came out! If your fruit and berries are very sweet, you can decrease the amount of sugar in the recipe. This is good for breakfast, as a snack or as dessert. Feel free to use any other stone fruit or berry combination.