This week I attended a knitting event at the Washington DC Jewish Community Center and decided to bring something sweet to snack on.
Who doesn't like chocolate, right? The way I came up with this recipe will demonstrate to you how most of my recipes are born. Last week, I was testing a recipe for Robyn which required mint extract. Obviously, the recipe did not use the entire bottle of the extract, and so I had quite a bit of it left. Also, a few weeks ago I received 8 mini POM bottles from Kristen, the P♥M blogger. I decided to combine these two ingredients with a store-bought brownie mix to make Minty Brownie Bites with Pomegranate Glaze.
1 brownie boxed mix (mine required 1 egg, 1/4 cup oil and 1/2 cup water)
1/4 teaspoon mint extract
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons confectionery sugar
2 tablespoons POM juice
1. Preheat the oven according to directions on the brownie mix's box.
2. Mix together the brownie ingredients with mint extract [be very careful in measuring out the mint extract, and do so in a separate dish, not over the mixing bowl: you don't want your brownie bites to taste like toothpaste].
3. Divide the brownie batter among the 32 lined mini cupcake molds.
4. Bake for 25 minutes.
5. Let the brownies cool completely.
6. To make the glaze, whisk together confectionery sugar and POM juice. If you want the glaze to be thicker, add more sugar.
7. Spoon the glaze over the minty brownie bites. Let it set and enjoy with a glass of milk.
These were quite a success! Of course you can also make this recipe in a 9x13 Pyrex dish, you'll just have to bake the brownies for a longer amount of time. But there is something so adorable about the mini bites :)