I woke up at 11 am today after a late night of dancing to a gray and rainy morning. Good thing I had some roasted butternut squash in my refrigerator to make a warm, spicy, and sunny-looking Curry butternut squash soup with coconut milk. I was inspired to come up with this recipe by a few ingredients I had leftover from various other cooking projects.
1/2 butternut squash
1 cup coconut milk
2 cups chicken broth
1 inch ginger, smashed
salt & pepper to taste
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
chopped pistachio nuts for garnish
1. Scoop out the seeds from 1/2 butternut squash and roast at 400 degrees for an hour.
2. Meanwhile, simmer the chicken broth with ginger--that will infuse the ginger flavor into the broth.
3. Once the butternut squash is tender, scoop it out from the skin and drop it into a blender.
4. Add coconut milk and strained chicken broth to the blender. Season with spices, salt & pepper. Pure.
5. Adjust the seasonings, pour the soup back into the pot and gently reheat.
6. Garnish each soup bowl with chopped pistachios.