I'd like to share with you my first real meal cooked in the new condo: Kale and White Bean Soup with Turkey. This soup is ridiculously simple to make, gets better with time, is really healthy and can be made vegetarian by eliminating ground turkey from the ingredient list. The sweetness of the carrots is a nice contrast to the heat from the chiles in adobo sauce.
Oh, and this was also the first time I tried out my brand new Ego light. I definitely need more practice.
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled, sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 pound ground turkey
salt & pepper
2 chile peppers in adobo sauce, chopped finely
3 hand fulls chopped kale
1 can cannellini beans (19 ounces), rinsed and drained
32 ounces vegetable broth
64 ounces water
1. Saute onion, carrots and garlic in olive oil till translucent.
2. Add ground turkey, salt and pepper and chile peppers and cook till the turkey is no longer pink.
3. Add kale and cook till it has wilted.
4. Add beans and all of the liquid. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
5. Serve with chopped parsley.
I've been eating this soup for about a week and am still not sick of it. It is really a great way to warm up during this season.