Let's say you are meeting some of your friends and need to bring a dessert. And you sort of want to impress. And you are sort of short on time. What to do? Well, I think biscotti is the perfect choice! Yes, you have to bake these cookies twice, but other than that, they are extremely simple to make and the variations are endless!
This recipe is based on Robyn's recipe I've made in the past, but I added a few extra ingredients this time around.
Biscotti with pistachios, crystallized ginger, cranberries & orange zest
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cups shelled pistachio nuts (feel free to use more!)
3 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
zest of one orange
1 cup cranberries
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients togheter.
3. Mix the wet ingredients together.
(I was baking at night and used my ego light to take photos: this was my setup in case you are curious.)
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients together. Seriously, how pretty does the dough look?
5. Form the dough into two flat logs on parchment covered cookie sheet.
6. Bake for about 25-30 minutes. Let the biscotti cool. Slice into 1/4-1/3" thick slices. Lay the slices down and bake for another 15-25 minutes, turning them halfway through.
Voila! You are done! These are great to share with friends, to eat for breakfast, a snack or an afternoon pick-me-up with coffee or tea.
What do YOU like to add to your biscotti?