Guess what?! There is no cream in this soup. What makes this Cream of Asparagus & Spinach Soup creamy is the addition of a few boiled potatoes. This is an incredibly healthy, nutrient-filled and easy-to-make soup. Luckily, it's also delicious and can be served hot or chilled. If you want to make this into a vegan recipe, use vegetarian broth and leave out the Parmesan cheese.
Now, go grab some asparagus, spinach and potatoes and make this soup!
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large white onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
salt & pepper
1 pound asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1" pieces, blanched, reserve the blanching water***
9 ounces spinach
2 medium potatoes, peeled, cubed, cooked until tender
32 ounces low fat, low sodium chicken broth
Optional garnish: Parmesan cheese & fresh basil
1. In a large soup pot, heat the oil. Add onions and saute for five minutes. Add garlic and continue to saute for two minutes.
2. Add blanched asparagus, season with salt and pepper and cook for five more minutes.
3. Add spinach, cover the pot and let the spinach wilt.
4. Add potatoes and chicken stock, bring everything to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for ten minutes.
5. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. If you don't have an immersion blender, use a regular blender and CAREFULLY puree the soup in several batches. ***If you find the consistency of the soup too thick, add some of the reserved blanching liquid.
6. Serve the soup topped with shavings of Parmesan and freshly chopped basil.
A special thank you to my friend Cecilia for the wonderful props used in this post: she gave me a beautiful towel and a ceramic white basket for my bday: ♥.
Do you make soups in the warm weather? If you do, what's your favorite soup to make?