The smell of charred eggplant makes me think of my grandparents. They would always cook a whole eggplant directly on the flame of the gas stove and then mix the flesh of the eggplant with marinated (at home!) tomatoes, chopped white onion and sunflower oil.
Sometime last week I did something similar with my own spin on it and decided to take a few photos not just with my phone, but also with my DSLR. Please make this recipe! You will love it. I ate it for dinner, but it can also be a quick side dish or a dip.
What to do with an Eggplant? Charred Eggplant Salad & Childhood Memories
1-2 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 white onion, chopped
1-2 tablespoons chopped basil
drizzle of sunflower oil
salt & pepper to taste
1. Place the eggplant directly on the flame of your gas stove. Rotate every few minutes with tongues until all of the eggplant skin is completely black.
2. Place the eggplant in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool.
3. Once the eggplant has cooled, slice it in half and remove the flesh. Mash the flesh of the eggplant in a bowl.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients and refrigerate for at least an hour.
5. Serve with bread or pita chips.