You guys! I want winter to come back. Or at least spring. It's hot and humid and sticky in DC already and summer is just starting (I use the Russian system of seasonality in which first day of summer is June 1st).
Despite the heat outside, I don't mind eating hot and warm food indoors as long as air conditioning is on a strong blast. That's why I loved creating this Lighter Summer Chicken Soup with Broccoli, Chickpeas & Milk. The idea to add milk to the chicken soup was inspired by a recipe I saw on my friend Rachael's blog.
Unlike the version of chicken soup that typically contains noodles, rice or dumplings, this lighter summer version is full of vegetables and get additional protein from the chickpeas.
Lighter Summer Chicken Soup with Broccoli, Chickpeas & Milk
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 peeled and diced carrots
2 peeled and diced broccoli stems
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 diced white onion
5-6 cups of liquid (I used a combination of liquid left over from poaching the chicken, liquid from cooking the chickpeas and water)
1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (use canned if you want)
1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups shredded poached chicken (I used skinless boneless chicken breasts)
3 tablespoon milk (use full fat)
1. In a large soup pot heat the oil. Add carrots, broccoli stems, onion and salt and pepper and sauté until the vegetables have softened, about 8 minutes.
2. Add the liquid and bring to a boil.
3. Add chickpeas, broccoli florets and shredded chicken and simmer the soup for 5 minutes.
4. Add milk and mix to combine.
5. Serve the soup garnished with chopped cilantro.